A Concise Overview of Medicare Parts A and B

A Concise Overview of Medicare Parts A and B

Medicare was formed in 1965 when the US President Lyndon Johnson enacted Title XVIII, which is an amendment to the Social Security Act, to provide health insurance to people of ages 65 or older. In addition, young people with disabilities or those with end-stage renal disease were also examined. Originally, the program consisted of Medicare Parts A and B, where “A” is for hospital insurance and “B” for medical insurance (for example, medical visits) and necessary medical equipment.

Medicare Part A or Hospital Insurance

This policy insures hospital stays, including hospital accommodations. This involves being in a semi-private room, having food and undergoing all the necessary tests. This also includes a stay in a qualified care facility for the recovery from surgery or injury, so long as the individual meets certain conditions (the list of the criteria can be found on the Medicare website). Now, Part A also provides a deductible of about $ 1,185 (as at 2013) and it is important to keep in mind that this is a “per service” deductible and not a yearly deductible.

Part A insures a maximum of 100 days in a care facility, while the maximum duration is 90 days for hospital stays. In addition, Medicare A also insures people requiring hospital treatment and suffering from a potentially life-threatening illness, with a lifespan of 6 months or less, which also insures drugs, medications, pain relief and control of symptoms

Part A of Medicare insures the cost of hospitalization. These include hospitalization, qualified assistance (if treatment is not the only care you need), home care and hospice. For the benefits of Part A, the payment of various deductibles, co payments and co insurance may be required.

Medicare Part B – Health Insurance

Some medical supplies not insured in Part A are usually insured in Part B for the purpose of outpatient. If the beneficiary or spouse is still employed and receives employer-provided health insurance, Part B will be a deferred option. Part B insurance will take effect as soon as the person has paid their deductible of $ 147 (as at 2013). From then go forward, Medicare insures 80% of the approved expenses, while the person is responsible for the remaining 20%. Many people are looking for a Medicare supplement policy to insure what parts A and B do not insure.

Medicare Part B provides you with health insurance. It includes 2 types of services, including services needed to treat diseases or situations such as medical examinations, x-rays, lab work, and ambulatory surgeries, and also preventative services to stay healthy, e.g. influenza vaccination, and cancer screening.

How to differentiate the Medicare A and B parts

In addition to the general breakdown of Medicare, Parts A and B mentioned above, there are other differences between the two. Apart from the hospital stays and the areas mentioned above, Medicare Part A also includes home care services and blood transfusions. Part B insures other areas which are not insured in Part A. Health insurance, physiotherapy and outpatient care are generally insured by Part B of Medicare.

The Medicare A and B portions have benefits that can be applied to your situation, depending on the health insurance you need. Visit the official Medicare website for more information on Medicare Parts A and B,